Monday, July 7, 2014

The Chosen One

Luke Skywalker.  Paul Muad'Dib.  Neo.  Shea Ohmsford.  Frodo Baggins.  Harry Potter.  Buffy Summers.  Katniss Everdeen. Etcetera, etcetera.

I have always been a sucker for stories, pretty much all of them in the fantasy/sci-fi realm, that feature The Chosen One.  I have read many a book, seen many a movie, played many a video game where this trope is central to its mythology.

Probably no secret that the reason most people enjoy these stories is because we want to be the chosen one.  What nebbish dweeb (I am refering to me, here) doesn't?

The reason I bring this up is because I started a new chosen-one-type book yesterday and so far it's pretty damn good.  Blood Song by Anthony Ryan is downright enjoyable.  I'm about halfway through and I am totally digging it.


I'll be back in a day or two or three to let you know how it goes.  It's the first book of a trilogy (the second book Tower Lord is out tomorrow, July 8th.

Since there are about forty-seventy-bazillion Chosen One stories out there, let me know your favorites, ya know, ones that I didn't already mention, so I can look into them.

Much thanks,
The Layabout

No comments:

Post a Comment