Thursday, January 29, 2015

AFI 96 - Do The Right Thing

This review has been stewing in my brain pan for a few months now and I have no better grip of it now than I did when I rewatched it last year.

This film world (arguably Spike Lee's best) is currently tangled up in my noggin with Ferguson, MO, Michael Brown and New York police and Eric Garner.  And while these horrific events may lend the events of the movie gravitas, it does not help me be objective.  Who knows?  Maybe my attempt at objectivity is just me not wanting to deal with harsh truths.

Anyway, since this blog is supposed to be about me and movies, let's try to keep it simple, yeah?  I'll save the real world socio-political stuff for another day.

Here's the short and sweet review:



Do The Right Thing is a great movie.  It's about the neighborhood of BedStuy during a heat wave. The local citizenry has a bad collective day and they experience social and civil unrest due to racism and intolerance.  Spike Lee has rarely been this good.  Maybe Inside Man was directed as well as this, but not much else that he's done, if any.  It's got a few warts, but they're minor.

The cast is great, the story is simple yet powerful, the ending leaves many uneasy, and the soundtrack changed my life.

This movie has always been important, but it is now even more so.  Please watch it and enjoy it.

B+.

Up next: The Last Picture Show

AFI Top 100 thus far...


  1. Do The Right Thing B+
  2. Blade Runner B
  3. Yankee Doodle Dandy F
  4. Toy Story B+
  5. Ben Hur C-

No comments:

Post a Comment