Friday, March 27, 2015

AFI 94 - Pulp Fiction

Way back in the day, in the dark ages before I had ever heard of Quentin Tarantino and before I really knew what indie cinema was I was generally content watching most movies.  I was in my early twenties and while I was chock full of (mostly misinformed and just downright awful) opinions about movies, I was a long way from knowing what was good or what I liked and even further from what might actually inspire me.  I was neck deep in a crappy sort of solipsism with no relief in sight.

Then, randomly, I saw an interview with Tarantino about his debut movie, Reservoir Dogs.  I had never heard of this guy or this movie, but hey, I like movies so I guess I'll watch this segment.  Honestly, I can't even remember what show it was.  60 Minutes?  Maybe.  Dunno.  I've sort of but not really tried to find it on YouTube but no dice.

Anyway, I remember them showing a clip of Mr. Blonde taking a razor from is boot while Tarantino explained that while writing the scene he didn't know the razor was there until Mr. Blonde took it out.  It was, for me, a young and impressionistic wannabe writer and clueless film fan, the moment that I wanted to see this movie and where my lifelong interest in Tarantino's films began.  This moment also was the first stepping stone to my becoming a film fan rather than just a guy who watches movies.

Soon thereafter I rented a VHS copy of Reservoir Dogs (shout out to Horkley's Video) and had my mind blown.  It is in no way an exaggeration when I say that this movie changed the way I experienced movies.  So just imagine how giddy I was with anticipation when I saw the trailer for Pulp Fiction.




I remember going to opening night with my friends (shoutout to Mark, Jake, and Tracy) and absolutely loved it.  I was transfixed by the violence, entranced by the dialogue, and kicked squarely in the junk by just how bloody cool it was.  I proceeded to see it probably six or seven times in the theater.  As soon as it came out on VHS I bought the letter boxed copy (shout out to Suncoast Video) and watched it again.  I was just so very pleased with the cleverness, the debauchery, and the characterizations.

And then life shambled on.  Other movies.  Other Tarantino  movies, even.  I moved a few times.  I had about a millions jobs.  I went to school and then dropped out.  I got married.  I got divorced.  I moved again blah blah blibbity blah.

So when I got to number 94 on the AFI list and there's Pulp Ficton, I thought, well hello old friend, let's reacquaint ourselves, shall we?  And then I sat down to watch this movie for the first time in about fifteen years.

And suddenly I felt a bit awkward.  I've changed, haven't I, old friend?  It's not you, it's me.  But not in a bad way, I think.  I never thought that the characters in this movie were noble paragons of virtue.  I always knew they were scumbag criminals to one degree or another, but they were awesome romanticized versions of scumbag criminals.  I suppose I had always viewed this movie through rose tinted glasses and now I was seeing it afresh.

Gone are the days when I thought Vincent Vega was a god among men with a penchant for being in the bathroom every time something inportant happened.



Gone is the awe that I viewed Mia Wallace with as she danced at Jack Rabbit Slim's after doing coke in the ladies room shortly before she OD's on heroin and gets an adrenaline needle mainlined into her heart.



Gone is the moment when I was bummed out for Jules because he wanted to quit being a heinous gangster to lead a relatively normal life...you know, like Cain from Kung Fu.



Instead of being happily overwhelmed by the violence, the dialogue, the non-linear storytelling and the general badassness of the thing, now I see the bad people doing hard things in a crazed world.

To paraphrase Wooderson, I grew older and it stayed the same age.

Which is totally not a bad thing at all.  One of the great things about movies is that we can enjoy them in different ways depending on where our emotions and life are at the time of the viewing.  Different messages and meaning can come through simply because of mood.  That's awesome.

So, Pulp Fiction, you glorious monster, I'm glad we got reaccquainted after all of these years.  And while I view you differently than before, I still love you and I'm glad that you're still a part of my life.  You are a one of a kind thrill-ride roller coaster overflowing with sin and style and I wouldn't have it any other way.  A.







No comments:

Post a Comment