Saturday, December 28, 2013

AFI 98 - Yankee Doodle Dandy

So far, this movie watching experiment (watching the AFI top 100 in reverse order) has not really gone my way.  I've watched three movies.  Two oldies and one contemporary film, and both of the old ones have been poopy.

Before you start to think that maybe I just don't like old movies, let me be clear: I like movies, period.  I like what I like and I don't like what I don't like, regardless of era.  Duh.

Soooo, in case you were just skimming that first paragraph, let me be clear.  Yankee Doodle Dandy is awful.



I'll be brief because I don't want to think about this movie for another second.

(deep breath)

Yankee Doodle Dandy is a shallow, racist, pathetically jingoistic musical that stars a guy who can't sing.

Hey!  Is that the Cohan Family, including two children, in blackface?  It sure is!  Take a bow Warner Bros.!


This movie stinks.  Don't watch it.  Don't support it.  Shame on you, AFI, and anyone else who thinks that it's okay to elevate this kind of dreck.  Boo.  Hiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment